Sunday, September 17, 2006

Community involvement

One of the biggest factors in a police service determining the eligibility of a candidate is their willingness and track-record of community work. The desire to help the community out on a person's off time, for free and with little material reward - possibly a free t-shirt or hat.

I mean, what kind of potential officer would a person be if they wanted nothing to do with the community, simply wanting to make arrests and take home their paycheque.... Well not a very good officer!! Policing is all about being proactive and involving yourself in the community!

Personally, I try to attend 1-2 volunteer events a month. Nothing too crazy, I often see commercials on fundraising activities going on in the Toronto area, I check out the website, and sure enough they are in desperate need of voluntters, so I apply.

It's usually a one day event, I go in early, set up, do anything the team leaders ask of me, then leave! I also ensure I talk to the leader afterwards and work out arrangements to receive a letter of reference saying i particpated in the event and that i did a good job!

While they don't seem like much, after half a year or a year, you've got a dozen or more letters talking about your volunteer experience and you willingness to help others, and it helps!

So get out and do something!

Regards,
Simon

No comments: